UPSPM proposal to UNESCO, NGOs, and governments
TITLE: UPSPM pilot study proposal to UNESCO national office/regional office/headquarter, UN headquarter (UNDP, UNEP, and UNOP) for MDGs (to operate in any English-speaking developed countries first and then other over a dozen countries)
by Dongchan Lee (the creator of USL, 5UEs, and URF)
For the introduction of USL, please check the main USL introduction paper (especially for URF) that we submit with the 3 pilot study submissions.
In spite of all the very persuasive results and evidences that USL has accumulated since 2013, the high level of skepticism about the basic premises of USL (that average students can typically learn math 10-20-50 times faster than the regular with equal or better results expected of the normal math education) has prevented it from its rapid growth to contribute to the global community in terms of educational, economical, and environmental revolutions. To meet the deadline of the UN General Assembly, we try to run USL pilot studies internationally to prove that we will prove the 2-3 times (for MDGs purpose) of speed efficiency in all these countries with our online pilot studies to tens of thousands of students to dispel the these doubts (for the more acceptable 2-3 times speed gains of math education).
The established facts from USL pilot studies:
- The average students (grades 2-11) learned 1-2 month materials in 30-45 minute classes, learning in avearge 10-50 times faster than usual.
- 2 countries, 8 schools, over 12,000 students participated from the grade 2-11 so far.
- the typical average jumped up 20-40%, for the math materials that condensed 15-70 times than normal, and yet the typical gains are still about 1 (or 0.5-1.3) standard deviation above.
- Especially from the last town, all the participating school principals gave the great testimonials supporting USL, and with the help of all the school principals, about 700-800 students chanted ¨Let´s support USL¨ mantras.
- Originally created to make the average students learn 12 years of math in 0.5-1 year with the math confidence of equal or better for those who have studied math in schools for 12 years. Due to the tremendous skepticisms, which is understandable, for now we focus on boosting the national or stage average by 1-2 years (in the developed countries) called USL 0.5 and 3-8 years (in the developing or poor countries) called USL 1.0.
But we are still struggling to create our Social Enterprise to make this go global and transform the world very effectively and rapidly in a proud way.
As we can see from the main USL introduction paper, USL consists of 3 operations: 1) USL as a Social Enterprise, 2) UFA (to complement EFA beyond its capability); 3) URF (to revolutionize the global economy to make the world much more equal and fair.)
- USL´s Social Enterprise need to grow fast to help the world.
- UFA needs the governmental level collaborations.
- URF needs the UN General Assembly level collaborations to create an international treaty based on the URF philosophy to empower every participating countries for the much better world within next 10-15 years.
- Our main target is to be invited to the UN General Assembly this September 2014 to propose the URF.
The problem, however, is that the pilot study results (of over 1,200 students) so far may not be convincing enough to many people in the world as the claims are too good to be true to most people. (So we are focusing on 2-3 times, not 10-30 times for now to lower the barriers of skepticisms.)
Description of Activities:
- What: The levels of math USL will cover: Since the proposed pilots are the first series, we will cover only 4-5 primary school level math; if I make the average students skip 2 years (out of 4-5 years), instead of skipping 1 year (out of 9-10 years) of math, this will contribute GDP growth rate of the surplus 2% annually.
- How many countries: during USL-UNESCO pilot studies for the post-MDGs (UPSPM), we plan to teach various random math materials from 5-10-15 countries (South Korea, USA, Canada, Cuba, Trinidad, Malaysia, India, etc)
- When to operate: if possible, early-mid 2015 before June (because the UN General Assembly is in June).
- How long: we will cover roughly 2-3 weeks of regular math materials in 1 week or 4-6 weeks of math materials in 2 weeks, depending again on the available time and budgets. So, we will make the average primary school students learn 2-3 times faster than normal.
- Back up plan: we try to get as many countries and students get involved as early as possible, but if we miss the UN for September, then we still will try to get as much to present in the SDGs conferences later on.
- How: the entire operations will be done online over a few or several months of time frame.
- Number of students: If we have 10,000-50,000 students (roughly 2,000-10,000 in each country) participating in this from 10 countries, that is almost the level of student participations to PISA from each country because each country has 2,000-5,000 students in PISA tests.
- If the budget doesn´t allow the magnitude of this many students, then we can reduce to the size, e.g. 2,000-5,000 students total per country, in 5 countries, totaling about 10,000-20,000 students.
- Languages: at first only from the English, Spanish, or Korean speaking countries.
- We can prove clearly that the 2-3 times faster math education with the equal or better average test results from 5-10-15 countries across the world as we lower the level to reduce the skepticisms to more manageable level. 2-3 times faster still is a revolution. Using this, we can start change the entire global education, economy, and environment fulfilling the entire MDGs´s current goals within 5-10 years.
Resources and Budget:
- We cannot tell till I get UNESCO approvals, but we suspect about 0.3-2 million usd per country.
- We try to collaborate with all the governemnts (especially Ministries of Education), UNESCO offices (regional, local) of the participating countries – as well as UNESCO headquarter (UNDP, UNOP), UN MDGs groups, SDGs groups – as early as possible. Once we have a certain level of UNESCO supports or the governmental supports or fundings, we will immediately start building the online pilot studies that can run on 3 different.
- To maximize our achievements, UNESCO need to collaborate with USL team as soon as possible because its impacts have been proven enough and its philosophy is directly align with those of MDGs and EFA at its core.
- Once decided for support, UNESCO can connect us to the various NGOs and UNESCO netowkrs that are willing to collaborate and fund this quickly.
- The Social Enterprise entity of USL (tentatively called DSM) may be formed quickly once UNESCO can help us quickly.
- Currently, we are trying to communicate with the Korean, NYC DOEs, NAEP, and the various UN/UNESCO-related NGOs.