Before you continue on, you can first download a PDF to see from [Exec Summary of 7 points. 2 pages with Appendix v. 2] To end the math poverty multiple times faster with MMU1 than without it.
For the MMU1 (Mini Mini USL1) that Lee is currently focusing on mostly, please click here.
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” – Buckminster Fuller –
“Education is the kindling of a flame, Not the filling of a vessel.¨ ― Socrates —
“We are living in the (often artificially created) world of scarcity. USL goals are simple: to bring the core perennial philosophy to the math and science education by uniting the reason and the spirituality; to end the scarcity of the knowledge of them by making math and science as easily accessible and abundant as water, cars, TVs, and internet by making people learn them typically 10-50 times faster; to empower people to take proper and intelligent actions to end the tragedies of scarcity, especially the (extreme) poverty, inequality of income, race, and gender as well as the population explosions in the poorest regions (as this prevents the poorest people from escaping out of the poverty traps); to radically reduce the financial & environmental crises (indirectly) in just 15-20 years, not sometime next century far beyond the conventional modus operandi of the POST 2015 and the energy projects of the UN. ¨ ― Dongchan Lee (Creator of USL) –
¨The first step USL will take is to boost the state or national average quickly by advancing 1-2 years (USL 0.5) and then by 2-5 years (USL 1.0) in a historically unprecedented scale. Why? The poverty of the fundamental math has caused too much ignorance and illness of the world as a whole and two of the prime examples are the poverty and the inequality of all sorts.¨ ― Dongchan Lee (Creator of USL) –
The fundamental premises of USL
Contrary to the popular belief, the conginitive capital impacts on the state, national and global economic and social growths are much more powerful than the mean years of schooling or literacy levels as they have been perpetuated by the vast majority of people and most economissts, education authorities and the policymakers, especially for the national average school math skill levels as the key cognitive capital driver.
A short USL 0.5 introduction video (it is the first part of the 5 part playlist) to end the math education poverty in the USA states and cities within 2-4 years (while this normally takes 20-40 years for the average USA states). One of its main impacts will be to reduce those who fail in Common Core math by 15-30% in just 2-4 years for the USA states that will embrace the USL 0.5, starting with the grades 3-5. The rapid reduction of racial and gender gaps of math in the USA or other countries will be truly profound.
A news coverage from Guatemala during a USL pilot study week (5 minutes)
USL1 is a first humble offering and yet a major step forward to provide the first handful of snow to create snowballs and then the sequence of cascades of snow to resolve not only the top 5 global crises (to complete in a short version for 15-20 years) or 12 global transitions (to complete in 20-30 years) but to push the future of mankind to the entirely new levels. The starting point is to massively boost the Cognitive Capital, especially with math (instead of the traditional focuses of the Human Capital as proxied to be the mean school years by economists typically).
The established facts from USL pilot studies:
- Speed: The average students (grades 2-11) learned 1-2 month materials in 30-45 minute classes, learning in avearge 10-50 times faster than usual.
- Participations: 2 countries, 3 towns, 8 schools, over 1,200 students participated from the grades 2-11 so far.
- Gains: the typical average jumped up 20-40%, which is roughly equivalent to boost the hundreds of F students to A student differences (which you may interpret as about 2-3 Standard Deviation rises or at least 1.2-1.8 STDEV rises roughly speaking after just one USL 30-40 minute lecture), for the math materials that condensed 10-70 times than normal. The later tests seemed to show more stark increases of the average math scores than the earlier ones.
- Especially from the last pilot studies in Santa Lucia Utatlan in Guatemala, all the participating school principals gave the great testimonials supporting USL, and with the help of all the school principals, about 700 students chanted ¨Let´s support USL¨ mantras. For their testimonials, click here.
- The TV coverages of USL pilot studies during and 1-2 weeks after the pilot studies in Solola state of Guatemala. For some of the TV coverage videos, click here (in Spanish originally with some in English translations). And for some English-speaking students´testimonials, click here.
- Originally created to make the average students learn 12 years of math in 0.5-1 year with the math confidence of equal or better for those who have studied math in schools for 12 years.
- But, due to the tremendous skepticisms and resistance by those who preferred the status quo, which is understandable, for now we focus only up to the USL 0.5 and USL 1.0 (using only from 2 to 5% and up to 10% of its full capacity), to boost the national or state average by a few or several years (which normally take 50-100 years in most countries) instead of pushing to cover 12 years of math in less than 1 year for the average students.
- Be aware that what USL 1 (to boost the state or national math average by 1 Standard Deviation) will achieve this in 2-5 years have normally taken 50-100 years for most of the countries on earth and the average USA states (according to the past NAEP test results for over 2 decades). Its socio-economic impacts are far more staggeringly larger that most people can handle.
The main idea may be summarized as follows. (To view more clearly, click the chart.)
The years written in this section is for the developed (OECD) countries. For the middle or lower income countries, the typical years needed will be 2x-3x longer based on the various estimations.
- USL 1.0 will boost the national average school math boost by 2-3 years (for the developed countries) or 6-8 years (for the lower income countries) roughly about 1 Standard Deviation following the standard of PISA or TIMSS international assessments.
- The reform time will be 2-5 years (primarily focusing on the online math education reforms), not 20-30 years plus while historically the vast majority of countries took 50-100-200 years.
- The original motivations started with the regression results of Hanushek & Woessmann, but our Working Paper series insights go beyond their work thus far.
USL 1 will consist of 3 parts:
- USL 0.25 by boosting the city level school math average by 0.5 year (1-2 years for the low income countries) within 1-2 year time frame, not over 10 years plus)
- USL 0.5 by boosting the state level school math average by about 1 year (which may be 2-3 years of national school math average boosts for the mid-low income countries)
- USL 1.0 by boosting the national level school math average by about 2 years for the developed countries (which may be 4-8 years of national school math average boosts for the mid-low income countries) For the countries around the world, this normally take 25 (Brazil and Latvia) -70 (about world average)-100 (Central America) -200 years (Sub-Saharan Africa) according to the data for the past 50-60 years.
For more details, please follow these links.
- For the TV coverages of the USL pilot studies.
- For the video evidences and testimonials for the USL´s earlier pilot studies, click here.
- For our frequently updated archive for the various claims (theoretical, economic justifications) for the modus operandi of USL1
- Working Papers that explain the mechanism behind the USL1 operations
USL pilot data and proof archives
For the Education authorities
- For the education authorities here.
- Some of the major online math assessment organizations that we can collaborate with
- For the Latin American education authories, MOEs, and governments
For the UN, NGOs, and governments
- USL1 for the 5 regions (that face the critical cultural or environmental crises)
- For the UN here.
- For the NGOs, here.
- UBN1 for the sub-Saharan African and South Asian countries and the African Un.
- UBN1 for the Himalayan regions (for the Indian, Nepal, and Bhutan governments, related NGOs and the UN)
For the Enterprise collaborations & investors
- For the USL material proposals for the governments, NGOs, the UN, and civil societies as well as for the potentials supporters such as the philanthropists, investors, and media, and the proposed USL1-induced global Social Enterprise Networks (called UGNSE1 for the worldwide enterpreneurs), etc, please browse through our blog here.
- For the investors here
For more of our older materials, please click here for our blog.