Basic ideas behind MMU x.x series or USL:
- The best chefs don’t complain about the recipes. Whatever recipes they have, then can convert them to the most delicious dishes.
- In the combined martial arts, the best warriors don’t get obsessed about the methodologies. Whether they are trained from Kung Fu, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Jil Kwon Do, Muy Thai (kick boxing), boxing, wrestling, Judo, etc., the real warriors can mix whatever necessary and shine.
- Think of Math EDU of MMU1 or USL as the funniest and most innovative fighting scenes of the Jackie Chan moves: Many of you have seen Jackie Chan movies. When many guys attack him all at once, he used anything available to escape, be it sticks, chairs, bicycles, ladders, refrigerators, shoes, clothes, underwears, socks, glues, windows, other human bodies, legoes, or the conditions and sizes of the rooms, the speeds of the attackers, and the intelligence of the attackers in ways that you can’t see in any other movies from any part of the world. You can think of Lee’s MMU1 operations are basically similar in nature. Everything is the weapons except that these will be used as the weapons of the mind, not to hurt anyone. Need some examples? His 10 scenes for 12 minutes
- or only the first 40 seconds of this.
- Highly non-linear, intuitive, and yet unified approaches that trigger the Aha moments to bring anything necessary to make the students learn with the ease and inspirations.
- (Although Lee hasn’t used any physical, musical, or game modalities directly to his USL or MMU1 pilot studies due to the lack of time because USL ran for only 1 class each time and MMU1 earlier only for about 1 week of 5 classes, once MMU is implemented to the regular school hours, Lee plans to convince the EDU establishments to utilize all sorts of activities, be it physical, musical, or game aspects, and personalized learning, etc.)
Having said that, ultimately, Lee (the creator of USL and MMU series), don’t have any simple sets of methodologies or pedagogies because he literally has thousands of methods (if you call them methods). This, however, seems to have caused a lot of negative repercussions because the typical educators and the leaders of the education institutions have hard time to anchor on the results of the USL or MMU1 pilot studies. To make their lives a bit easier, Lee decides to get categorize some of the more mundane methodologies for the sake of making them feel better. These are more for the MMU x.x series, not for USL simply because USL goes far beyond any known education or psychology or neuro-science paradigms.
The historic backgrounds:
The original USL means the Unified Super Learning. MMU1 means the Mini-Mini USL (as it uses only 4-8% of the full capacity of USL) and yet still can bring the unprecedented math EDU revolutions by uplifting the math worst half average to the math best half average for any levels, be it Primary, Middle or High school levels and any socio-economic levels from any Latin America, OECD countries, Africa or India.
- Why Unified? Because it mixes up literally anything necessary to inspire and excite students. Lee often used the elements quasi-philosophical, sports, pop culture’s, classical culture’s numerically, visually, conceptually, experientially, musically, etc.
- Why Super? Simply because it made the average students learn 10-20-40-50 times faster than usual. In other words, if the original Lee’s plans got realized and got the full supports, he can literally make the average math students learn the entire 12 years of school math in just a few or several months. In other worlds 12 years of math in less than 1 semester. This of course back-fired beyond his original expectations because this literally caused the fears of the education establishments every single time. So he completely abandoned the original USL vision and currently focusing only on ending the math poverty to minimize the resistances and fears from the education establishments from any country. After all, for almost every Edu establishments, the education is more business than empowering the next generations. So in reality, nobody wants the true revolutions. If someone says they want the revolutions, they are lying for sure at least based on Lee’s experiences.
- Since the original USL versions made the average students learn math 20-50 times faster, which raised too much skepticism first and as he currently focuses only on the MMU x.x series that use only about 4-8% of the original USL capacities in terms of the efficiency, speed and capability, just enough to end the math poverty as Lee takes the worst math half students (averaging around 25 percentile) and raise their math average to the best half average students (averaging around 75 percentile). If thousands of students participate, the typical statistical gains to raise the math worst half to the best half average is roughly around 1.45 Standard Deviations, be it PISA, TIMSS, or more regional international assessments like SERCE/TERCE of Latin America, etc.
Basic methods (if you call this method):
Mathematics at the primary or secondary school levels consist of largely Arithmetic, Geometry, Basic Algebra, and some others like basic probability, set theory, etc. As MMU series focus mostly on radically reducing the math poverty, Lee’s main focus for the primary school math will be Arithmetic, Geometry and some Algebra in most cases. For Lee, Mathematics is the science of patterns. He cooks up any relevant patterns to entice the students to enter the rather complex or abstract worlds of math with ease.
The following is possible because Lee had been exposed to almost all sorts of cultural activities, including literature, films, music, poetry, math, physics, comparative religions, mysticisms, sports, pop cultures of all sorts, technology, 8 languages (and increasing),
- Both of the brain hemi-sphere uses (to make psychological educators feel better): he maintains the balance and don’t heavily focus on either side exclusively because the optimal math is achieved by the balance of both.
- Anything that has potentials to excite or inspire students may be used. Some of the examples are (because the examples are literally thousands at least)…
- Pragmatic Philosophy (as Lee is well familiar with both Eastern and the Western philosophies, be it ancient or modern).
- Spiritual Math (of both the East and the West)
- Spiritual aspects of the modern science
- Musicality of Math
- Mystical elements of Math
- Sports aspects of math
- Relationship aspects of Math
- Visual aspects of Math
- Poetic aspects of Math
- Pop culture aspects of Math
- Religion aspects of Math (be it Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, etc.)
- Language aspects of Math
- Financial aspects of Math
- Game aspects of Math
- (And yes there are thousands more, but this short article is not to confuse the educators. So I will stop here.)
Tentative sets of the methodologies that Lee is currently planning to implement after the initial MMU1 pilot phases from various countries once he cannot teach to millions of students online all by himself and need to train others later if he needs to cover more than ten millions of students.
Having said so, I will just throw small set of the methodologies (again if you call that) to MMU1 once it is embraced by some state or national governments to scale up to hundreds of thousands of millions of students of the grades 3-5 or 6.
Every student learns in different ways and can learn better in some ways than in other ways. Although Lee still can deliver classes with a uniform ways and still top any personalized or tech-based learnings hands down, this kind of statements is very politically incorrect in the current education atmosphere.
Longer term methodologies of MMU 0.5 (for the advanced countries) -1 (mostly developing countries)-1.5 (for the poorest countries)
So, once the initial phases of the MMU1 occur across many cities, states or even countries, then Lee will design the diversified math programs that deliver the personalized learnings depending on the various diagnostic tests, aptitude tests, and surveys, etc. For the MMU1 pilot operations, Lee will use only certain elements for the EDU battles that fit into particular cities, states or countries because each is different.
- Lee always prepare diagnostic tests to see the strengths and weakness of his students.
- Lee sees the survey results of the students to see what his students like and what they do not like, etc.
- Even though MMU1 is 15-20 times slower and relaxed version of the original USL, it still retains the certain unifying elements of the USL (appetizer versions basically) with the various unified insights so that the students can rise with their math skills very quickly at least compared to any math EDU standards.
- Depending on the dominant propensity of the students’ preferences, Lee will deliver the math focusing on whatever efficient and shortcuts may be.
- There will be various diagnostic assessments to see the concrete progress of the students and their strengths and weakness.
- Intuitive approaches are clear with the minimal obscurities.
- Depending on cities, states or countries that can implement the physical or musical or computer game capacities for MMU1, Lee will deliver accordingly. As of now, Lee’s main focus is to make students learn quickly and get enough math skills and confidences as most developing countries don’t have enough findings or capacities for the luxuries of the games, etc.
- Once the full year MMU1 implementation take place in states or nationally, then Lee will devise various preliminary personalized education schemes. (But again, this will not be possible at least the first 1 year due to the lack of everything, be it data or funding or time).
- Although MMU1 was created with the aims to end the math poverty quickly, for Lee, math poverty is closely related to the vast gamut of social-cultural-personal-economic-even spiritual poverties. So, Lee will try to bring the spiritual elements of math for the predominant groups of the students regardless of their spiritual, religious, or materialistic modern backgrounds or paradigms.
- Till big scale is implemented and everything gets out of hand for him alone to implement MMU1 in many cities, states, or countries, which may take some time, Lee will just deliver the one man show to the MMU1 operation countries or states. As of now, he thinks that up to a few million students or so, he can handle alone without any training other teachers.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.